Egypt’s pyramid restoration – level 3
Renovation work on Egypt’s Menkaure Pyramid, which sits beside the Sphinx and the larger Khafre and Cheops pyramids at Giza, specifically the reinstallation of a granite layer, has sparked controversy.
Mostafa Waziri, the head of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, shared a video of workers setting granite blocks on the pyramid’s base, deeming it ‘the project of the century’. Originally encased in granite, the pyramid lost part of its covering over time. The three-year restoration aims to recreate the pyramid’s original style. However, Egyptologist Monica Hanna criticized the project and called it absurd and a violation of international renovation principles.
The debate over heritage preservation in Egypt, a nation heavily reliant on tourism, continues to intensify, reflecting broader concerns about the management of historic sites and cultural heritage.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are some criticisms and concerns surrounding the renovation work being done on Egypt's Menkaure Pyramid and how are they reflective of broader issues related to heritage preservation in Egypt?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.