El Niño in Chile – level 3
Waves measuring as high as 5 meters or 16 feet battered the coast of Chile over the weekend, as powerful El Niño storms wreaked havoc in the South American country.
In the coastal resort town of Viña del Mar, the passengers of this civil defence SUV were lucky to escape with their lives after a giant wave knocked the vehicle over and dragged it through the water. Footage aired by Chile’s TBN network shows how passers-by ran to the aid of the SUV’s occupants and helped them to get out.
Elsewhere, Chilean officials were forced to shut oceanfront roads and to fly red flags on beaches to stop people from swimming.
The massive waves, which are reportedly the biggest in this region since 2003, damaged cars and toppled street lamps.
Difficult words: batter (to hit many times), wreak (to cause), havoc (large destruction), resort (a popular tourist area), SUV (a sport utility vehicle), drag (to push), footage (video), aid (to help), occupant (a person who is inside of something), topple (to bring down).
What do you think about this storm?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos