El Paso Victims – level 2
On August 3, 2019, a gunman killed 22 people at a store in El Paso, Texas. He told police that he shot people that he thought were “Mexicans.” More than 80% of the people who live in El Paso are Hispanic or Latino.
Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday that people also celebrate in the USA. For this year, people created special altars to the victims who died at that store in El Paso. Usually, people create altars for their relatives who died. They put objects in the altars such as flowers, candles, and candy that looks like skulls.
A Chicago museum also created an altar for the victims.
Difficult words: Hispanic (a person who comes from a country where people speak Spanish), Latino (a person who comes from Latin America which is south of North America and is where people speak Spanish), altar (a small religious space where you put objects to respect a religious person or a person who you know).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.