El Salvador’s Festival of Fire – level 2
In El Salvador, hundreds of people celebrated a dangerous annual festival. People throw fireballs at this festival, which honours a big volcanic eruption in 1922. However, another legend says that a local Christian saint fought the Devil with balls of fire.
The festival is not new but there are still no rules. Authorities worry that things might get out of hand one day.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), honour (show respect), authorities (the “bosses”).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos