Election in Bangladesh – level 3
During Bangladesh’s national election on Sunday, December 30th, the country’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, and her party secured their third straight term.
The ruling Awami League party scored nearly all of 300 parliamentary seats – only a few were lost to the opposing Bangladesh Nationalist Party. The losing party denounced the election results, accusing the winners of rigging the vote. The prime minister denied the claims and said that there would not be a new vote.
During the election, there were violent fights between the supporters of the ruling and opposition parties. At least 17 people died during the vote.
Difficult words: secure (know your position in something), denounce (say that you do not respect the result of something), accuse (say that somebody did something illegal), rig (manipulate, control, fake), deny (say that something is not true).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.