Electric cars in Germany – level 3
The Germans love their motor sport, but while Mercedes dominates Formula One, at this racetrack in Berlin, electric cars were taking centre-stage, preempting the hosting of Formula E race, a new single-seat emerging sport championship for electric cars. Enthusiasts brought their beloved electric cars and bikes together for a motorcade, in attempt to break the record for the largest gathering of electric cars and motorbikes ever.
“We wanted to show that electric cars have already won over the hearts of the people. Many people drive electric cars and we said, ‘hey guys, let’s have some fun!’ We want to have a parade, we aim for the world record! And we want to show all the others that we’re having fun driving these cars. That’s important to us.
It’s called 508 and we had 580 cars. We did break the record.”
Well, you actually had 577 to be exact, as this high-tech sign shows, but still, record broken. Well done!
Difficult words: dominate (to control), preempt (to interrupt something), emerging (beginning), enthusiast (someone who really likes something), motorcade (a long line of vehicles), attempt (a try), gathering (many things together), aim (to try to get a goal), high-tech (very complicated by electronics).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.