Elephant family – level 3
Now that’s not the smallest elephant you’ve probably ever seen. That one is!
One-week-old elephant calf Nandita has been enjoying a mud bath at Chester Zoo.
The little one, along with five other members of her family, spent around half an hour slipping and sliding in the mud before mum wiped her eyes and ears with her trunk.
Nandita was born on the 20th of August to mum Thi. The family of Asian elephants at the zoo spans four generations and Thi is also mum to Sithami, grandmother to Sundara and Barla and great-grandmother to Harry.
The zoo hopes that the recent arrival of Nandita can help raise more awareness of the species which according to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature faces a very high risk of extinction.
Difficult words: calf (a young elephant), trunk (an elephant’s long “nose”), species (a type of animal), extinction (becoming extinct – having no living members).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.