Elephant Saved – level 2
An elephant was roaming in a forest around an Indian village for several days. One night, the animal fell into a farm well.
The farmer heard the animal cry in the night, so he called rescue services. The well was about 17 meters deep, and it was not easy to get the elephant out. Rescuers threw coconut tree leaves to the elephant to feed her.
Luckily, there was not much water in the well, but it was still necessary to pull the water out. When the water was out, a veterinarian made the animal fall asleep. Rescuers used trucks and cranes to pull the sleeping elephant out. It took almost 14 hours to rescue the animal.
When the elephant woke up, she seemed well, so rescuers released her into the forest.
Difficult words: roam (to travel around a place), well (a deep hole in the ground that people get water from), release (to let somebody go).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos