Elephants destroy crops – level 3
A wandering herd of 15 elephants has been journeying in southwestern China’s province, as local authorities try to keep them away from populated areas.
The elephants entered a rural suburb on Wednesday night after traveling 500 kilometers, and they haven’t left the area since. The animals look in good health and they have been seen roaming through farmland and villages. They haven’t harmed anyone; however, according to the media, they have damaged or destroyed crops worth more than 1 million dollars. Local authorities have sent more than 630 people, 100 vehicles, and 14 drones to watch the animals.
Meanwhile, another herd of 17 wild elephants has been reported in a south province. They are stranded there, unable to cross the river and leave due to the rising water level in the summer. The animals broke into a crop protection and cultivation base, and more than 130,000 types of plants, including 1,350 endangered species, are at risk of being destroyed.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.