Elephants in Botswana – level 2
Botswana is home to 130,000 elephants, which is the most of any country in Africa. In 2014, Botswana banned the hunting of elephants to help their population grow.
Last Wednesday, people lifted the ban on elephant hunting, and now licensed hunters can hunt elephants again. The country plans to give out up to 400 elephant hunting licenses a year.
Botswana explained why it lifted the ban. This was because there were more and more conflicts between people and elephants recently. Botswana said that it must protect its elephants and its people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.