Elephants in Botswana – level 3
Botswana is home to 130,000 elephants, which is the most of any country in Africa. In 2014, the government banned hunting of its elephants to help their population grow.
Last Wednesday, people lifted the ban on elephant hunting, turning what was once a sanctuary for African elephants into an open territory for licensed hunters. The country plans to grant as many as 400 elephant hunting licenses a year.
Botswana’s government said that they lifted the ban because of increasing conflicts between elephants and humans. It says that it has to protect the elephants as well as the people.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.