Elephants or Avocados – level 2
A Kenyan company bought a piece of land near the Amboseli National Park. This park is on the border between Kenya and Tanzania and many wildlife lovers visit it to watch elephants and other animals that live there.
The company bought 175 acres of land to grow avocados. Avocado is becoming popular in all the world because it is very healthy.
Environmentalists are not happy with the company’s plans because it will have a bad impact on the animals. Three parks in the area started to work together because they wanted to help animals move freely. The avocado farm will block the animals’ way between the parks.
The farm’s manager said that the farm would give jobs to many people and they would use the land better.
Difficult words: wildlife (animals which live in forests, grasslands, and other natural places), environmentalist (a person who cares about the natural world very much), block (to stop or make it difficult to move through a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.