Elephants or Avocados – level 3
The impressive sight of elephants roaming beneath Mount Kilimanjaro has long brought wildlife lovers to Amboseli National Park on Kenya’s border with Tanzania.
However, the elephants’ ability to move freely may be under threat from an unexpected adversary, avocados.
A Kenyan agricultural company has farms across 175 acres of land near Amboseli, and now it’s building nurseries with the intention of growing the fruit that has a popularity growing worldwide because of its high nutritional value. However, conservationists say that the plans and electric fence on the farm will block the important wildlife corridor where elephants move between three national parks. Two thousand Amboseli elephants and many other wildlife species could be affected by the avocado farm.
The company said that it obtained the land legally and then received government approval in 2020. According to the farm’s manager, the farm will be a source of employment, and it will increase the value of the land.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.