Elizabeth Holmes scandal – level 2
In 2003, Elizabeth Holmes founded the company Theranos which became popular for its special health technology. Some people said that Holmes was the new Steve Jobs because the technology was very different.
The company said that it made blood tests that needed only very small amounts of blood to detect many diseases. Investors spent more than 700 million dollars to support Theranos, but in 2015, some scientists and journalists started to doubt the technology. Some patients even got wrong results for their blood tests. Investors, business partners, and patients sued Theranos, and in 2018, a trial started.
A court charged Holmes with fraud. She lied to investors because she wanted to get their money. Holmes may spend many years in prison.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.