End of the Circus – level 3
After a final curtain call, the end of “the Greatest Show on Earth” will happen. The Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus is going to close forever in May, due to high operating costs and dwindling popularity. Audience numbers went down after the circus ended the elephant show because of pressure from animal rights groups. Technology also played a role in the circus’s demise.
In recent years, the Ringling Brothers tried to keep up with the times by launching an app, but it was not enough. The company will perform 30 more shows between now and May, so that fans will have a chance to say goodbye before the final curtain call.
Difficult words: curtain call (when people in a performance come out at the end to bow to the audience), the Greatest Show on Earth (the name for the circus since the 1800s), operating costs (how much it costs to run something), dwindling (decreasing), demise (a death, an end), keep up with the times (seem important to today).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos