End of the one-child policy – level 2
In the 1950s, China’s population grew by around 1.9% each year. The government wanted to change this and started the one-child policy.
The policy began in 1979 and it prevented about 400 million births. People who had more than one child could lose their jobs or worse. Doctors even sterilized some people.
Traditionally, Chinese families prefer boys. If a girl was born to some Chinese families, they left her and tried again for a boy.
All this, however, may soon change. The Chinese government is planning to let people there have two children.
Difficult words: government (a group of people who are “bosses” of a country), policy (a rule – what you can or cannot do), prevent (to stop), sterilise (to block or to remove the sex organs so you cannot have children).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the change in the one-child policy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.