Energy from peat – level 2
Scientists in Estonia found a new way to make sodium-ion batteries. They used peat, which was cheaper then some metals in batteries, like lithium or cobalt.
Currently, people use lithium-ion batteries most often, but the problem with these batteries is that they are more expensive and harmful to the environment. The scientists heat the peat to a high temperature for two to three hours. Then they get a carbon powder which they use for the batteries.
The technology is new, and nobody really knows yet how good it will be. Still, the world is looking for technologies that are better for the environment, and with electric cars, car makers will need more and more batteries. This technology could help solve the problem with batteries in the future.
Difficult words: sodium-ion battery (a type of battery which uses a metal called sodium, and people cannot charge it as many times as the lithium-ion battery), peat (a dark brown substance from dead plants, vegetables and so on), lithium-ion battery (the most usual battery in electronic things, which people can charge many times).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.