Equal Pay Day – level 2
April 10 was Equal Pay Day for all people. An actress wrote an essay and asked why she makes less than her male co-stars.
Another actor said that it did not make sense for his female co-star to make less money than he did, especially when she won an award for her role. A BBC editor quit when she saw that women were not being paid equally at BBC.
A tennis star also called for equal money for black women. Oprah Winfrey said that the ‘Time’s Up Movement’ is not just for famous women but for the women of the world.
Difficult words: co-star (a person who acts in a movie or a TV show with other actors), award (something that people give you for doing something well), role (a part that a person plays in a movie or a TV show), Time’s Up Movement’ (a movement for women to get more rights).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos