Erdogan Losing Support – level 1
Erdogan is the president of Turkey. This year is his 16th as president. He is popular. However, he is becoming less and less popular.
In March, there are local elections in Turkey. People can choose people from Erdogan’s party. They can also choose people from another party. Erdogan’s party wins in almost all of Turkey.
It does not win in two cities. These cities are Istanbul and Ankara. They are important. Istanbul is Turkey’s biggest city. Ankara is the capital. This is not good for Erdogan. He wants to change this.
His party says that there is fraud in the election. It wants a new election in Istanbul. The party plans the new election for June.
Erdogan is happy. He says that this is good for democracy. The European Parliament does not think so. It thinks that this is bad for democracy.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.