Erdogan Losing Support – level 3
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been in power for 16 years, and his party dominated Turkey for even longer. However, the country’s economy has not been doing well under Erdogan and his popularity is suffering.
Turkey held local elections on March 31st in which Erdogan’s party won across the nation, except in Istanbul, the largest city, and Ankara, the country’s capital. Such a situation is a major setback for Erdogan.
Erdogan’s party requested a new election in Istanbul, saying that fraud influenced the results. The country’s Supreme Election Board agreed, and this final decision cannot be challenged in court. People planned the new local election in Istanbul for June.
Erdogan said that the new election is an important step for Turkish democracy. On the other hand, the European Parliament said that a second vote would ruin the credibility of democratic Turkish elections.
Difficult words: fraud (cheating, doing something illegal), influence (change), credibility (the fact that you can trust the election).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos