Erdogan wins Turkey’s election again – level 2
Recep Tayyip Erdogan won Turkey’s 2023 presidential election with 52.14% of the votes. He extended his rule into a third decade.
His rival, Kilicdaroglu, received 47.86% of the votes. People expected Erdogan to win because he was leading in the first round. Many Muslims support Erdogan because they see him as a global protector. Kilicdaroglu and his party wanted changes in the country and better relations with the West but they were not successful.
Erdogan now has to make important decisions regarding Turkey’s military, refugees, and international relations. Some people worry that Erdogan will have absolute power in the country.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential long-term implications of Erdogan's win in Turkey's 2023 presidential election?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.