Erdogan wins Turkey’s election again – level 3
Recep Tayyip Erdogan has won Turkey’s 2023 presidential election, securing his third decade in power.
Erdogan received 52.14% of the votes, while his rival, Kilicdaroglu, received 47.86%. With over 99% of the ballot boxes opened and a significant gap between the candidates, the remaining uncounted votes couldn’t affect the outcome.
Erdogan’s victory was expected after he led in the first round of voting. Despite public anger over the government’s response to recent earthquakes and economic challenges, Erdogan’s popularity remains strong, particularly among faithful Muslims who see him as a global protector. Kilicdaroglu and his party, CHP, promised change and closer ties with the West but fell short. Erdogan faces important decisions ahead, including managing Turkey’s military, the refugee crisis, and its role in international relations. Critics express concerns about Turkey’s democratic state under Erdogan’s leadership, with restrictions on media and protests raising fears of a slide toward autocracy.
Difficult words: ballot box (a sealed box into which voters put completed ballot papers), fall short (to fail to meet an expectation or reach a target), autocracy (a system of government by one person with absolute power).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact will Erdogan's victory have on the economic and political landscape of Turkey?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.