Ernest Shackleton’s ship found – level 3
Scientists have found one of the most famous shipwrecks at the bottom of the Weddell Sea, Antarctica.
Sir Ernest Shackleton’s expedition started in 1914, just when World War I was also starting in Europe. His ship HMS Endurance set off to the South Pole, and Shackleton wanted to walk across Antarctica from one side to the other.
However, the ship became trapped in the sea ice, and the ice slowly crushed it. It forced Shackleton to make an astonishing escape. He and his crew had to leave Endurance, they camped on the ice, and eventually, on November 21, 1915, the ship sank.
Despite sitting in 3,000 meters of water, the wreckage is in remarkable condition. Endurance22 was the name of the search; it was the world’s most challenging shipwreck search. A sub-sea team had to work in -35 degrees Celsius and fight with mechanical failures. However, after a month, on the 100th anniversary of Shackleton’s funeral, they found Endurance.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.