Escalator catches man’s foot – level 3
A man has had his foot amputated after it became caught in an escalator at a shopping centre in Shanghai on Saturday. The man, who is a cleaner at the centre, became trapped after a metal step on the machine opened and swallowed his leg.
It took firefighters around 20 minutes to free him from the escalator’s grasp, but doctors were unable to save his foot and were forced to amputate it, according to state television. He is now said to be recovering from the ordeal in hospital.
The incident in Shanghai comes a week after a woman died after being dragged into an escalator at another shopping centre in central China.
An investigation into the latest accident has been launched by the Market Monitoring Bureau of Shanghai’s Changning District and the escalator has been closed to the public.
Difficult words: trap (to stop something from moving), swallow (to catch), grasp (to have a firm hold), ordeal (a terrible experience), drag (to pull), district (an area of a country).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos