Ethiopia Conflict – level 3
Ethiopia´s military has defeated local forces in the west of Tigray State. Ethiopia´s prime minister, Abi Ahmed, has accused his enemies of atrocities after a week of mass killing in the region.
In a separate report, Amnesty International said that mass killing may have hit hundreds of civilians who were stabbed to death. Witnesses blamed fighters who were loyal to local leaders who said that they were not involved in the alleged killing. However, it was not possible to confirm either side´s version of events.
Refugees have flooded neighboring Sudan and hundreds of people have also turned out for a government-run blood drive for people who were wounded. Ethiopia´s parliament has appointed a new regional president and accused the former leader and other officials of treason, arms rebellion, and terrorism.
Difficult words: atrocity (an extremely brutal or cruel act), blood drive (a charitable activity in which people are requested to donate blood), treason (disloyalty to a country or government), arms rebellion (when people use weapons to take over a government).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.