Ethiopia-Eritrea Border – level 1
Eritrea and Ethiopia are in East Africa. They share a border. Between 1998 and 2000, people there fight. Thousands of people die. People close the border.
This year, Ethiopia accepts a peace deal. Now, the border is open. It is open for the first time in 20 years. People can meet again.
People are happy about this. Hundreds of them celebrate.
Difficult words: border (the line between two countries), accept (say ‘yes’ to), peace deal (a plan for peace – no fighting).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos