EU and Russian energy – level 3
The EU acted with unprecedented speed and unity to sanction Russia; however, energy is the EU’s weak spot.
Before the war in Ukraine, Russia provided the EU with a huge percentage of its energy imports, 47% of its coal, 41% of its gas, and 27% of its oil. Thus, Russia supported transportation, heat, and electricity for households and big industries. Large economies like Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands especially depend on Russia.
The EU is now phasing out Russian coal by this summer, and it wants to reduce Russian gas by two thirds by the end of this year. Ukrainian president Volodimir Zelensky accused European countries of making money from blood, since Russia is using the money to buy weapons.
The EU has paid more than 46 billion euros to Russia for its energy since the beginning of the war in Ukraine. Last month, US president Joe Biden promised to send more gas to Europe, and internally, Europe can also increase its nuclear energy production.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.