EU candidate countries – level 2
EU leaders recently agreed to begin accession talks with Ukraine and Moldova, and they granted Georgia formal candidate status.
Ukraine became a candidate in 2022. The country has a history of 30 years of EU relations. Moldova also became a candidate in 2022, but the country has change how courts work and solve corruption before accession talks can start. Turkey became a candidate in 1999, but the EU has concerns about human rights in the country. Therefore, there are no talks at the moment. Other countries like North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, and Bosnia and Herzegovina, have different stages of negotiations.
The EU also recognized Kosovo’s EU perspective in 2022, but not all member states see Kosovo as an independent country.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the current negotiations and candidate statuses for Ukraine, Moldova, Turkey, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, and Bosnia and Herzegovina with the EU? How does the EU view Kosovo's potential for accession?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.