EU candidate countries – level 3
European Union leaders agreed to initiate accession talks with Ukraine and Moldova, granting formal candidate status to Georgia.
Ukraine, a candidate since 2022, has a history of EU relations dating back 30 years, marked by the Orange Revolution and the 2014 Maidan Revolution. Moldova, a candidate since 2022, had to address issues like judiciary reform and anti-corruption measures to start accession talks. Turkey, a candidate since 1999, faces a freeze on accession talks due to human rights concerns. Other Western Balkan nations, like North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, and Bosnia and Herzegovina, have different stages of negotiations.
EU leaders also recognized Kosovo’s EU perspective in 2022, although not all member states recognize its independence.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are some of the issues that Moldova had to address in order to begin accession talks with the European Union, and how has the EU's stance on Kosovo's potential membership evolved in recent years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.