EU car ban – level 3
The European Parliament formally approved a law to effectively ban the sale of new gas and diesel cars in the EU from 2035.
The move is part of the EU’s effort to speed up the switch to electric vehicles and combat climate change. The rules mean that car makers have to eliminate CO2 emissions from new cars sold by the middle of the next decade. The law will also set a 55% cut in CO2 emissions from new cars sold in 2030, compared to 2021 levels. That’s much higher than the current target of around 37%.
EU countries agreed to the deal with lawmakers last October, and it’s expected that member states will make final approval in March this year.
Many European car makers have invested heavily in electrification. For example, Volkswagen announced that it would only produce electric vehicles in Europe from 2033.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the EU's goal with this new ban on car sales?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.