EU countries meet with the Ukraine president – level 3
The prime ministers of the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovenia arrived in Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, on Monday to show high-level backing for Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
Zelenskiy briefed the leaders on the war with Russia, and he said that Ukraine wouldn’t join NATO. The EU leaders thanked the Ukrainians for defending fundamental European values, freedom, democracy and the right of every person to choose their own life. They reassured Zelenskiy that Ukrainians weren’t alone, and Europe stood with his country.
The visit was made in agreement with the presidents of the European Commission and Council; however, there was some nervousness about the men’s safety during their three-hour hazardous journey by rail from Poland to Kyiv. During the talks, loud explosions could be heard across the city that had been gradually encircled by the Russian military.
Difficult words: backing (support), fundamental (the most important or basic), encircle (to surround).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos