EU farmers protest – level 1
Russia buys food from the EU. It buys food worth around 5.5 billion euros every year.
Russia stops buying the food. China also buys less and less European dairy products. This is a problem for European farmers. They must sell their products at low prices.
The farmers need help. They go to Brussels. They protest there. The EU helps the farmers. The EU gives them 500 million euros.
Difficult words: worth (the price of), dairy product (food which is made from milk), sell (to give somebody something for money).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation for the farmers?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos