EU farmers protest – level 2
Russia is one of the EU’s main agricultural export markets. It is worth some 5.5 billion euros every year.
Russia banned the import of EU food products, and China is buying less and less dairy products, as well. This situation is not good for European farmers because they must sell dairy products at very low prices.
In Brussels, around 4,800 farmers and 1,500 tractors went to a demonstration. The farmers’ protest was successful. The EU said that it would give 500 million euros to the farmers.
Difficult words: agricultural (relating to agriculture – farming), ban (to make something illegal), dairy (made from milk).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation for the farmers?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.