Euro 2016 in Paris – level 3
A night of chaos on the streets of Paris. This is how Euro 2016 came to a close.
Disappointment started early. The 90,000 capacity fan zone at the foot of the Eiffel Tower quickly filled, but dozens of fans were left outside. With many desperate to get in and fears of overcrowding, police took to using teargas to try and disperse the crowds.
At half time, the score was 0-0, but mopeds and cars were on fire. Then in extra time, Portugal scored the only goal of the game and France couldn’t reply.
The host nation, desperate to have their spirits lifted after November’s terror attacks, had lost and disappointed fans took to Paris’s famous Champs-Elysses to vent their frustrations. Once again, police fired teargas at the crowds in an effort to control them.
But it wasn’t all disappointment on the streets. Streams of Portuguese fans were also out, but then, they had cause for celebration.
Difficult words: dozens (many), desperate (if you are desperate to do something, you really really want to do it), disperse (break up), in an effort (trying to).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.