Europe heatwave – level 2
Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and Poland are facing severe conditions during the Charon heatwave.
Last week, temperatures in Greece reached 38 degrees Celsius and authorities closed the Acropolis to protect tourists from the extreme heat. European Space Agency warned of possible record-breaking temperatures which could be dangerous for some people.
A study shows that last year 61,000 deaths in Europe were due to the heat. Southern Europe expects high temperatures next week, too. Joan Ballester from Barcelona Institute for Global Health said that it was important to help people who are at the highest risk. The hot weather is very dangerous to poorer elderly people who don’t have money to buy air conditioning.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact could the high temperatures have on poorer European people living in the Southern part of the continent?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.