European Super League – level 3
Talk of a European Super League has been around since the 1980s, with many top football leagues in Europe afraid of such a competition forming.
The format of the competition would favor some of the strongest and biggest clubs in European football, and people claimed that it would usher in the end of the Champions League, the most popular cup competition in world football.
12 elite European clubs have signed up to the closed league, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, and Tottenham. Six elite teams from Spain and Italy were also part of the proposed plans.
However, last week, the plans for a European Super League were vigorously rejected by 14 English clubs when fans of all clubs along with influential figures around the game have spoken out against it. The UK prime minister Boris Johnson said that he was prepared to introduce new legislation to prevent the new league.
Difficult words: usher in (to be at the start of a new period when important changes happen), elite (a selected group that is regarded as the best in terms of abilities or qualities), vigorously (very strongly, forcefully).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos