Europe’s hottest winter – level 3
This January, temperatures across Europe reached an all-time high.
Many nations are suffering from a warmer winter. For example, in Bosnia, the exceptionally warm weather prompted tourism authorities to consider a declaration of a natural emergency. In Switzerland, Alpine slopes lack the blanket of snow needed to ski.
In Macedonia, low snow has kept away thousands of tourists from ski resorts. In Bilbao, Spain, the temperature reached 25.1 degrees Celsius, which was 10 degrees more than average for this time of year.
According to scientists, extreme weather events are more frequent, more intense, and last longer because of human-induced climate change. Experts forecast the above-normal temperatures to last until mid-January.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.