Europe´s Oldest Person – level 1
Sister Andre is the oldest person in Europe. It seems that she is the second oldest person in the world.
Sister Andre is 117 years old. She is born in France in 1904. She lives in a Protestant family. She has three brothers. One brother dies in World War I.
Sister Andre becomes Catholic when she is 26 years old. She starts to work in a hospital. She works there for 31 years.
She is living in a care home in Toulon, France, now. 10 people die from the coronavirus in the care home. Sister Andre has the coronavirus, too. She survives. She is healthy again.
Sister Andre cannot walk. She is blind. It means that she cannot see. Her favorite food is lobster. She likes wine.
Difficult words: care home (a place where old or ill people live, and somebody else cares for them), survive (when something bad happens and you live after it), lobster (a large sea animal with a hard body and eight legs)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.