Europe’s Plan for Migrants – level 3
Last Monday, four EU countries agreed on a new deal to distribute migrants recovered from the Mediterranean Sea.
Interior ministers from France, Germany, Italy and Malta approved the deal. Finland, which currently holds the EU presidency, helped broker the deal. Under the new agreement, EU countries would volunteer to take in migrants rescued in the Mediterranean within weeks of their arrival. The countries would also handle asylum requests.
The deal aims to ease pressure on southern EU countries like Italy and Malta that see hundreds of thousands of migrants arrive on their shores every year and have complained that other EU countries do not help out.
More details about the plan are going to be revealed to all 28 EU nations on October 8th. It is still not clear how many other EU countries will participate in the proposal.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.