EU’s first gay president – level 2
Edgars Rinkevics, the former foreign minister of Latvia, has become the country’s president. He made history as the first openly gay head of state in the European Union.
The president’s role is mostly ceremonial, but he has the power to say no to laws and call referendums. Rinkevics told people he was gay in 2014, and he always supported the rights of LGBT people. Gay people can’t get married in Latvia, but the highest court in the country said that it is okay for same-sex couples to legally live together.
In his first speech as president, Rinkevics promised to help Ukraine in its fight with Russia. He also talked about the big differences between people and said that he wants to make Latvia a fair and modern country.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some of the issues that President Rinkevics will focus on in order to make Latvia a fair and modern country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.