Ex-soldier helps a refugee girl – level 1
Calais is in the north of France. There is a refugee camp there. The living conditions in this camp are bad.
An Englishman is in the camp. He is an ex-soldier. He sees the situation. He feels sorry for the refugees.
He plays with a refugee girl. She is from Afghanistan. She is in the camp with her father.
The girl and her father want to go to England. The father asks the Englishman for help, and he helps them. He takes the girl with him.
However, French police stop him. They find the girl in his car. The man is in trouble.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who must leave their country because of war or something bad), living conditions (the situation in which people live).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this complicated situation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.