Exercise and get a free ticket – level 2
Mexico is a country with the second highest rate of obesity. The government says that around 37 million Mexicans are obese.
The government wants to help these obese people – it put 30 health stations in 21 Metrobus stations in Mexico City. When somebody steps in front of the station, it tells the person to do 10 squats. While you exercise, the station gives you some advice on how to live a healthy life. When you’re finished with the squats, the station gives you a free ticket!
Experts say that so many people in Mexico are obese because of unhealthy food and drinks.
Difficult words: rate (a number), squat (when you get down by bending the knees), advice (a piece of information which can help you).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you do 10 squats for a free ticket?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.