Expensive chicken – level 3
Chicken is the most consumed meat in the world; however, it’s more expensive than ever.
So why is chicken getting so expensive? Ukraine is a major producer of corn and wheat, the main feed source for chicken. The war in Ukraine has upended this situation because it caused prices to increase to feed and care for chickens.
Besides the war, bird flu has occurred in important producing regions. As a result, farmers slaughtered millions of birds to stop the spread of flu.
In the US alone, farmers killed over 38 million chickens and turkeys since February. As global prices rise, countries are safeguarding domestic supplies. In an extreme example, Malaysia stopped chicken exports from June 1st to ease the food price costs and safeguard their domestic supplies.
Chicken’s affordability made it the world’s meat of choice; however, it may become as expensive as beef.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.