Expensive oil – level 2
Oil prices are growing. On Monday, they were the highest since 2008. The price of crude oil is the reason. The highest price in history was in July 2008, when it reached 147.5 dollars for one barrel.
On Monday, the price was 139 dollars. Experts thought that the war in Ukraine could mean that oil would be even more expensive. The US and EU planned to stop oil imports from Russia, as one of the punishments against the country. This would probably mean that there would be less oil. As a result, the prices of oil could jump from $100 to $200 for one barrel.
Oil prices increased the prices of fuel, too. Companies just started to recover from the pandemic, and this could bring new problems for them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.