Explosion in Cairo – level 2
An explosion occurred in front of the Italian consulate in central Cairo. It killed one person and injured two.
The explosion happened early in the morning during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. The explosion was so big that people in other parts of the city heard it. It greatly damaged the consulate.
The cause of the explosion is unclear, but one person said that it was a car bomb.
Difficult words: occur (to happen), consulate (a place for a consul – a person who lives abroad to help other people from his country), fast (to eat little or no food for a period time, especially for religious reasons).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this attack in Cairo?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos