Explosion in Cairo – level 3
A huge explosion has occurred in front of the Italian consulate in central Cairo, killing one person and wounding two.
The cause of the blast isn’t yet clear, but one security official said it was a car bomb. There was no immediate claim of responsibility. A senior security officer said preliminary investigations indicated that attackers had placed a bomb underneath the car near the consulate and remotely detonated it.
Islamic militants have carried out roadside bombs and suicide bombing attacks which have so far targeted members of the security forces and officials.
The blasts occurred early in the morning during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. Witnesses said the explosion had caused massive destruction to the building. The force of the blast shook a building in downtown Cairo and could be heard in several neighborhoods.
Two weeks ago, a car bomb killed the country’s top public prosecutor and militants affiliated to Islamic State attacked several military checkpoints in North Sinai in what was the fiercest fighting in the region in years. The army said 17 soldiers are more than 100 militants were killed in those clashes.
Difficult words: huge (very big), consulate (a place for a consul – a person who lives abroad to help other people from his country), blast (an explosion), preliminary (first), indicate (to suggest), militant (somebody who fights), fast (to eat little or no food for a period time, especially for religious reasons), public prosecutor (a lawyer who works for the government), affiliated (connected), clash (a fight).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.