Explosion in Mexico – level 1
This news is from Mexico. There is an explosion. It happens at a petrochemical plant. Three people die. The explosion injures more than 100 people.
Pemex is a Mexican national oil company. Pemex owns the plant. This is not the first explosion. The company does not know the cause of the explosion.
The plant makes a chemical. People use it to make PVC pipes. This chemical is dangerous.
The explosion sends up a cloud. It is full of chemicals. People are not safe. They must stay inside.
Difficult words: petrochemical plant (a building where people make things from petroleum or natural gas), cause (a reason, why something happened), PVC (polyvinyl chloride; a chemical), pipe (a long, narrow thing with space in it; things such as water can move in a pipe).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.