Facebook changes name – level 3
In an announcement by Facebook’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg, the company has renamed itself as Meta.
The change comes as the company faces wide-ranging criticism of the real-world harms from its various platforms after a whistleblower leaked hundreds of internal documents.
The renaming could be part of an effort to change Facebook’s reputation following the series of PR nightmares, including misinformation on its platforms, content moderation, and failures and information about the negative effect its products have on some users’ mental health.
According to Zuckerberg, the company’s mission remains the same, as it is still about bringing people together. The new name shows Facebook’s desire to change toward being a new computing platform focused on virtual reality. The new name shows the full idea of what the company does and the future it wants to help build. The company also revealed new technology like Horizon Home and the Oculus Quest 2 that will help build the metaverse.
Difficult words: whistleblower (a person, usually an employee, who informs on a person or organization regarded as engaging in an unlawful or immoral activity), PR (public relations, ,techniques, and strategies for communication from an organization to the public), metaverse (a virtual-reality space in which users interact with a computer-generated environment and other users).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.