Facebook Warning Messages – level 3
Facebook has been testing an emergency alert tool since early 2018, and they are rolling it out across the USA by the end of the year.
The tool can send alerts to the top of users’ feed in cases of emergency. Local authorities can also choose specific users in affected counties, cities or even neighborhoods.
Facebook says that local governments have already used the tool to send alerts during Hurricane Barry when somebody went missing or when there was a gas leak. In Facebook’s own survey of 2,000 users, 73% of the users learned something new, and 43% took action after seeing the alert.
However, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration says that people should not rely only on their smartphones. Every home should have a weather radio because its batteries last longer, and some models have solar panels or a hand crank. For example, it took 11 months to fully restore electricity in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria struck two years ago.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.