Fake accident – level 3
Over 20 years ago, a seemingly ordinary British couple faked a canoeing accident, and they defrauded hundreds of thousands of pounds from a life insurance policy.
John Darwin ran a business renting bed-sits across Durham County until 2000, when he ran into debt and he nearly went bankrupt. Two years later, he went missing while canoeing off Cleveland; however, rescuers were puzzled, as the sea was unusually calm.
Darwin’s wife received the death certificate, and she received 250,000 pounds in life insurance. For five years, she lied to the couple’s two sons, while Darwin secretly lived in a bed-sit next door.
The couple eventually decided to start a new life in Panama City; however, in 2007, Darwin walked into a London police station, and he claimed he had no memory of the past five years. Police already suspected that the man might be alive and using a false identity.
The couple were both jailed for six years for the fraud, and their story became the subject of a TV drama called ‘The thief, his wife and the canoe’.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.